Series: Berserker 1
Reviewed date: 2005 Jun 16
The first collection of Fred Saberhagen's Berserker stories. Built by an unknown race millennia ago, planet-sized berserker machines roam the galaxy in their relentless quest to purge the universe of all life. All mankind--all intelligent life--is engaged in this ultimate battle for survival.
- Without a Thought: To trick a berserker, Del Murray must teach his pet aiyan to play checkers like a human being.
- Goodlife: A man in the service of berserkers meets other humans for the first time when prisoners are brought on board.
- Patron of the Arts: An artist on a ship attacked by berserkers takes up painting rather than attempting to resist.
- The Peacemaker: Carr tries to reason with a berserker, to persuade it to stop its programmed extermination of all living things.
- Stone Place: The combined fleet of all mankind meets the massed forces of berserkers in a decisive military showdown.
- What T and I Did: A man wrestles with himself over whether to serve the berserkers or to serve mankind.
- Mr. Jester: Humorous short.
- Masque of The Red Shift: Berserkers risk all to kill Johann Karlsen.
- Sign of the Wolf: Berserker attacks a human colony that has reverted to a pre-industrial state.
- In The Temple of Mars: Berserker worshippers stage a coup on the soon-to-be flagship of mankind's space force.
- The Face of the Deep: In parking orbit around a black hole, Johann Karlsen waits for rescue.